January 2014 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes January 7, 2014
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Kerns, Berryman, Gilson, Leo, Sherrets, and Macken
President Gilson called the meeting to order.
Berryman moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Berryman moved to approve the minutes with the change of the date from November to December. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Jared Stewart discussed the landscaping project with the board.
- He recommends using mulch to help alleviate problem mowing areas and to allow the new plantings to grow.
- The pergola measures 16'x16'. Limestone blocks were to be used for seating. The board prefers to have benches with backs under the pergola, but could envision the limestone incorporated into the landscaping. The board will be responsible for choosing the benches.
- The patio and pergola will be moved further west approximately 3 feet. A 3' strip of grass will be next to the bike path. The patio will incorporate the water feature.
- Jared will prepare a new plan that reflects the changes and present the new plan at the next library board meeting on Thursday, February 13.
The board reviewed and discussed the Trustee Training on the USA PATRIOT Act.
Friends of the Library will meet on January 13.
- Hawkeye Sheet Metal measured the windows above the main entrance and the children's area for flashing.
- Retrofit Company will present at the next board meeting.
- A series of programs on the Civil Rights will commence January 15.
Bills were reviewed. Kerns moved to accept the bills. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Discussion was held on the Internet Policy. Kerns moved to change the policy so that patrons can check out the computers by presenting either their library card or current photo identification. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Kerns moved to adjourn the meeting.