Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes December 10, 2009
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, December 10, 2009 at 5:00 p.m. at the library.
Present: Pixler, Ridihalgh, Leo, Gilson, Peik, Macken
President Ridihalgh called the meeting to order.
Add Closing of the library due to inclement weather or unforeseen circumstances to the agenda.
Gilson made a motion to approve the minutes as written. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Correspondences – Received a Christmas card from Novak Design.
• The book and bake sale brought in approximately $1700.00.
• The Friends will be purchasing DVD’s for the library through out the year. They will purchase DVD’s based upon a library “wish list.”
• The library has started offering programs on days when school has early outs or vacation time. Liz Brown from KOEL presented the Elf on the Shelf program which was well attended. The library will be showing movies as a movie license has been purchased. Elf, Polar Express, Flicka, and Cartoons will be shown the month of December. Other activities complement the movie. A movie for adults will be shown in January.
• Larson Construction added an outdoor sweep to the meeting room door and planned on peeling up shingles to check flashing over meeting room corner. They re-caulked some mortar joints. They sealed around the windows in the children’s area but need to remove some trim to verify if the sill flashing is still sealed. This, presumably, will not get done until spring.
• Since the Information Desk seems to be appreciated and used by the public, Macken purchased a discontinued model under-desk locking file cabinet on wheels and a license for Microsoft Office for staff to use while working this desk.
• The Council approved the budget carry-over.
• The hand sanitizer stations donated by the hospital have been back ordered.
• Macken has been asked to serve on the Accreditation Task Force which is a committee of 2 LSA staff, 6 library directors, 3 state library staff, the state librarian, and a representative from the Iowa Commission of Libraries. This committee will rewrite the accreditation standards. Meals and transportation will be provided. Also, Macken will be serving as Rotary President and Fayette County Library Association President for the upcoming year.
• The public restroom main doors have been removed.
• The two-shift Saturday’s have been implemented. Staff observes that they are able to give better patron service.
• The carpets have been cleaned.
• The Enrich Iowa state funding of $2743.54 has been received.
• Walt and Jane Saur made a donation to the library. The money will be used towards the Jan’s drawing of the old library.
• Macken will be gone 12/11 for son’s college visit day and 12/18 for family medical leave.
December bills were reviewed. Peik moved to accept the bills. Seconded by Pixler. Motion carried.
Johnson Controls had made a mistake on the cost savings estimate for installing an automatic controller. A $2000 annual savings would mean a 10 year pay-back. Macken contacted Young’s on 10/30, 11/30, and 12/10 on moving the sensors and adjusting the fans. No response.
Macken made the requested revisions to the FY2010-11 proposed budget.
Leo moved to purchase an Amseco wireless entry/exit people traffic counter for two doors for $198.50 from the Bequest Fund. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Macken will ask the Friends’ if they would be interested in purchasing a projection screen with tripod.
Macken talked with Dean’s Light Box about different options for lighting the outdoor flag. The best option would be to protect the existing lights. The rock guards designed for the existing lights would cost about $200 each. Macken will ask Steil Welding or Iowa Laser if guards could be fabricated.
The board discussed the Donations and Gifts policies. The board prefers to have donors chose whether to give their money directly to the library or to the foundation. Macken will bring a revised Donation Policy to the next board meeting.
Leo moved to accept the revised wording to the Safe Patron Policy. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Discussion was held on closing the library due to inclement weather, unexpected circumstances or holidays. Macken will revise the current policy on holiday closings. On holidays when the library is closed, part-time hourly staff will have the option to either make up hours they would have worked or not be paid. On days the library is closed due to emergency or unforeseen circumstances, full-time hourly staff will have the option of either making up the hours or using vacation time. Part-time hourly staff will have the options of either making up the hours, using vacation time, or not be paid. Macken will make the revisions to be approved at the next board meeting.
Gilson made a motion to adjourn. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.