Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes June 11, 2009
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday June 11, 2009 at 6:15 p.m. at the library.
Present: Peik, Ridihalgh, Pixler, Leo, and Macken
Absent: Gilson, Kerns
The agenda was approved.
The minutes were approved as written.
· Board approved a donation of $2000.00 for the outdoor messaging board.
· Friend’s Appreciation Night will be held during the Visions exhibit.
· Friend’s, Foundation, Library Trustees and Staff will host Business After Five on Wednesday, August 19.
· A Potato Bar fundraiser will be held during an OCAD scheduled event.
· Energy Audit will be completed this week.
· A patron, by request, will be given the Chandra Vision’s of the Universe poster after the exhibit has concluded as her deceased daughter was named after Chandra.
· Children’s librarian reported 544 students attended the library field trip. Since that time, students have been bringing in family members to see the library.
· An additional afternoon story time has been added. Forty attended the morning session and twenty attended the afternoon session. Lapsit surveys have been gathered and planning has started.
· The library has been invited to set up a table at the Farmer’s Market. The library will promote the upcoming Visions exhibit and children will make papier mache planets that will be hung in the library.
· Visions Grand Opening is July 7 with the Mayor proclaiming “Astronomy Month”, Grout Museum will have their indoor planetarium program, Friend’s will serve refreshments. Macken is invited to promote Visions on KWWL on Saturday morning, July 11. Fifteen Upper Iowa students will be in charge of activities during school field trip visits to view the exhibit. Teachers from Oelwein and from schools in the surrounding area are signing up for fall Visions field trips.
June bills were reviewed. Peik made a motion to accept the bills. Seconded by Ridihalgh. Motion carried.
Drywall has been repaired and painted. Wallpaper was also removed from staff room restroom. Mold was found. The patches of peeling paint on the steel beams were redone with the understanding that any further problems would be fixed, too. Two leaks in the meeting room remain to be repaired as well as the light sensor.
An estimate for recessed lights of $906.76 and rewiring the lights by the windows of $246.00 was received from Dean’s Light Box. Since this is a fix for design flaws, the board requests the adaptions be covered by Novak.
Two lights have been broken by the flag pole. Macken will inquire if there is some sort of cage that can be placed around these lights or unbreakable glass installed. Macken will ask Schmitt to repair a broken section of sidewalk. Macken will ask when the city will be repainted parking lots, etc.
The board discussed the library park area. The committee met on plans. Dieter will be laying brick sidewalk up to and around the evergreen. Benches and an information kiosk will be installed. The board prefers a three-sided kiosk. Top soil and seeding will be done in the fall.
The city issued a permit for the outdoor messaging board. The sign has been ordered with a goal of installation before July 1. The library needs to run electric to the sign and the company will install wiring for the computer software and antennae.
Peik made a motion to donate $270.00 from the Bequest Fund to the school manufacturing class for building the shed. Seconded by Pixler. Motion carried.
Macken presented two circulation systems to the board including pros and cons of each system from patron and staff perspectives and the initial, five year, and ten year costs. The library will take advantage of a free trial of Apollo. The board will make a final decision at the next board meeting.
Peik made a motion to adopt the revised Interlibrary Loan policy. Seconded by Ridihalgh. Motion carried.
The board would like to show their appreciation to the library staff for all they have accomplished this past year and for all their work on the upcoming events this summer. A breakfast will be served at the staff meeting on Friday, June 19.
Elections and Director Evaluation will be on the agenda for the July 10 meeting.
Special Board Meeting
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held a special board meeting on Tuesday, June 23, 2009 at 1:00 p.m. at the library.
Present: Gilson, Ridihalgh, Leo, and Macken
Absent: Pixler, Peik, and Kerns
Gilson made a motion to have Dean’s Lightbox install 6 can lights on each end of the tall book stacks for approximately $906.00 and disconnect the inside track of lights from the light sensors over the tall book stacks for approximately $246.00 to be paid for from the Bequest Fund. Seconded by Ridihalgh. Motion carried.
The next board meeting has been changed to Monday July 6 at 6:15 p.m. The board will meet at 5:45 to evaluate the director.