May 2012 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes May 3, 2012
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, May 3, 2012 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Peik, Gilson, Berryman, Macken
Absent: Leo, Kerns, Sherrets
President Gilson called the meeting to order.
Berryman moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
Berryman moved to approve the minutes as written. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
Correspondences: The Iowa National Guard Officers Auxiliary donated $50 to be used to purchase children’s books to “provide comfort and support to a child with a loved one serving in our Armed Forces.”
Friends Report: The Book Sale and Bake Sale was the most successful to date bringing in over $2000.
• The parking lot lines have been re-painted.
• The Ambassadors have been invited to attend Edith’s retirement party at 4:00 on June 28.
• The library final County appropriation was received. Next year, all Fayette County libraries will receive an additional $200 each on top of the increase received this year.
• The stained glass windows are ready to be installed. An unveiling ceremony will be planned by the Friends of the Library. One suggestion is to have the event during the time of Edith’s retirement party. The board would support this idea if all parties agree on a joint event
• As of March 31, the library bond for the building project has been reduced to $14,927.63.
Bills were reviewed:
• It was noted that the library salary line was reimbursed $37.79 from the Street Department for picking up the sand container.
• Peik moved to approve the bills. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Terms and fees were discussed in regards to offering patrons the option of making payments using a credit or debit card. There is a $10 per month maintenance fee. Additionally, each transaction will have a $.29 fee plus a .58% interchange fee. As an example, a $10.00 payment will incur $.35 in fees. Peik made a motion to proceed with offering credit card payments but, the charge amount must be a minimum of $2.00 (which is the cost to purchase a replacement library card). Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried. The system will be installed after the director returns from vacation.
Catherine Harris has accepted the position of Assistant Director upon the retirement of Edith Biddinger. The library will be hiring a part-time Assistant Librarian with an emphasis in youth services.
The Library Board discussed potential candidates for the Trustee position that will be vacated by Steve Peik in July.
The Library Board discussed their preferences for library purchases as the library has the opportunity of utilizing special reduced prices negotiated for Iowa schools and libraries from various vendors belonging to a consortium. The board prefers to purchase items from local businesses for the majority of items. If costs differ by a wide margin, it is acceptable to inquire if a discount could be negotiated.
The Display and Library Postings policy was reviewed. Peik moved to accept the reviewed policy. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
The next board meeting will be Thursday, June 14 at 5:30 p.m.