August 2013 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes August 8, 2013
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, August 8, 2013 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Kerns, Leo, Ingersoll, Berryman, Sherrets, and Macken
Vice-president Kerns called the meeting to order.
Berryman moved to accept the agenda. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Leo moved to approve the minutes as written. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
The board reviewed information on the Library Ordinance.
There were no correspondences.
- The next Friend's meeting is August 12.
- James Fleming has accepted another position. Marisa Mendez has been hired as a new Library Page. Her training started on Monday.
- The library parking lot is scheduled to be painted this week.
- Artwork by Robert Tabor was donated to the library. This will be hung in the Genealogy area.
- Notice was received by the State Library that the library is now fully accredited at Tier 3 level. A press release was sent to the newspaper.
- The Library Board and Jared Stewart are scheduled to meet with the City Council for a work session on Monday, August 12 at 5:15 p.m. about improvements to the Saur Lot. Jared will present his landscape design and cost estimates.
- Macken will be on vacation from August 13-23.
Bills were reviewed. Two librarians will be attending the Town Meeting in Waterloo on September 10 and two librarians will be attending the ILA convention in Coralville October 17-18. Berryman moved to accept the bills. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Jim Novak has been corresponding with Doug Larson about repainting the steel beams. No date has been set.
Staff attended a class on Violence in the Workplace. Staff suggested security measures.
- DVD storage was moved so staff will be facing the circulation desk when retrieving DVD's for check out.
- A convex mirror would be helpful for monitoring the northwest corner of the children's section.
- A work "island" would be helpful in the staff area. Currently, tasks performed on the east counter means that the librarians' cannot monitor what is happening at the circulation desk. A work island would allow tasks to be performed while facing the circulation desk. Another option would be to install a mirror above the present counter so one can monitor what is happening from behind. A representative from Prison Industries will be at the library on August 28 to make some recommendations for that space.
- The police department suggested installing a security motion light in the area by the back entrance to the meeting room. This area is not visible from the street or the parking lot and has had problems with vandalism.
Leo moved to purchase out of the Bequest Fund a convex mirror to be placed in the children's area and a security light to be installed by the back meeting room door. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried. In future, the board will consider a security camera system, if needed.
Berryman moved to accept the Library Director Job Description as reviewed. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Berryman moved to adjourn the meeting.
Next meeting will be Thursday, September 12 at 5:30.