December 2015 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes December 17, 2015
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, December 17, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Ingersoll, Kerns, Mars, Berryman, and Macken. Also present Larry Larsen
President Kerns called the meeting to order.
Berryman made a motion to approve the agenda and the minutes as written. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
The Board reviewed part 1 of the Administration section of the Library Standards.
- Membership is 144 persons
- The February festival has been changed to a patriotic theme
- The director will take some vacation time between Christmas and New Year's.
- The Fayette County Library Association will meet with the Supervisors on January 7 about the county appropriation.
- A program on Pysanky egg decorating will be on January 9.
- The emagazine subscription available through Flipster was renewed. Two titles were not renewed and six new titles were added at a total cost of $544.91 for the subscription.
- Stewartscape fixed the lights and added light rock guards in the Reading Garden.
- The library employees have signed up to be added as members of the Teamsters union for Public Works employees.
Berryman made a motion to approve the bills. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Larry Larsen, who is an Oelwein citizen that recently retired from Seedorff Masonry, gave advice on the state of the brick on the library building.
- The north side of the building has the most problems.
- The flashing is Perm-A-Bound, but no stainless steel drip was installed.
- Weep holes should have been spaced every 24", but the weeps do not appear every 24".
- Some of the Pre-cast stone has been mortared instead of caulked so the mortar has cracked.
- Caulk on the steel beams needs to be re-caulked.
- It appears the piers have cracked because of mortar in the expansion joints. This could only be confirmed by de-constructing a pier.
Recommendations for repairs:
- Top priority would be to re-caulk and caulk the areas that had been mortared that should have been caulked such as the cast stone sills.
- Second priority would be to take down a pier to identify the cause of the cracking taking care to carefully document the entire process.
Karr Masonry from Vinton will be looking at the building on December 18. Larsen left the meeting.
The board discussed the library budget request for brick repair and maintenance and decided to maintain their decision of requesting $35,000 as voted upon at the November meeting.
Discussion was held on the Five Year Plan. The new Mission Statement shall be, The foundation for a future of life-long learning. Service responses chosen are "Creating Young Readers", "Satisfy Curiosity," and "Visit a Comfortable Place."
Policies were reviewed. Berryman moved to accept the Display and Library Posting policy as reviewed. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried. Ingersoll moved to accept the Circulation of Library Materials policy as reviewed. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried. Mars made a motion to accept the ASVAB Study Guides policy as reviewed. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried. Berryman made a motion to accept the Fines and Charges policy as reviewed. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Berryman made a motion to adjourn.
Next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, January 14 at 5:30 p.m.