April 2015 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes April 9, 2015
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Kerns, Ingersoll, Leo, Gilson, Berryman and Macken
President Kerns called the meeting to order.
Berryman made a motion to accept the agenda. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Gilson made a motion to accept the minutes as written. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Trustee Training on "Planning for the Library's Future", Part Three, was reviewed.
- Next meeting is April 13
- Book and Bake Sale April 23-25
- Enrich Iowa Agreement for Direct State Aid, Open Access, and Interlibrary Loan Reimbursement was submitted to the State Library.
- Programs in April are the Civilian Conservation Corp on April 13 and Iowa Attractions with Dave Kaercher on April 30.
- Library staff will be evaluated throughout the month of April. Board members received evaluation forms to complete for the director.
- Leo will be resigning from the library board since she will no longer be an Oelwein resident. Her last meeting will be in June. The board discussed possible replacements.
Bills were reviewed. Electric bill was compared to last year and shows fewer KWH used. The Governor's Volunteer Award for the Friends of the Library was paid for out of the Bequest Fund.
Gilson made a motion to approve the bills. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
The final budget for 2015-16 is $245,891 with $6,100 coming from Economic Development for replacing some computers, monitors, and Microsoft Office for an overall budget of $251,991. The council allowed for a 2% salary increase. Leo made a motion to continue with the board's initial decision to increase salaries 3%. Seconded by Berryman. Discussion was held on the council's recommendation versus the librarians' salaries compared to other libraries. Leo, Gilson, Berryman, and Kerns voted in favor of the motion; Ingersoll voted nay. Motion carried. Gilson made a motion to accept the budget as adjusted. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Four businesses were invited to submit bids for maintaining the library landscaping.
- Corner Market declined since they did not have employees to do this job.
- Desi's looked at the project and received the information outlining the requirements, but did not submit a bid.
- Scheels submitted a bid of $1,311.72 for the season.
- StewartScape submitted a bid of $1,225 for the season plus $84 for mulch and $60 for river rock.
Gilson moved to accept the bid from StewartScape. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Sex Offenders against Minors policy was reviewed. Leo moved to accept the policy as reviewed. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Berryman made a motion to adjourn.
Next meeting will be Thursday, May 14.