January 2016 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes January 14, 2015
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Mars, Kerns, Berryman, Gilson, and Macken. Guests were Brad Wilken and Larry Larsen.
President Kerns called the meeting to order.
Berryman made a motion to approve the agenda. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Gilson made a motion to approve the minutes as written. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Brad Wilken, from Karr Tuckpointing in Vinton, presented the brick repair proposal. The price quoted of $14,172.00 is good for one year. The repairs would take approximately one week to complete. Wilken left the meeting. Kerns will talk to Karr about caulking the cast stone under the windows instead of the proposed mortar. The board asked the director to change the library budget request for building repairs from $35,000 to $14,200.
Larry Larsen, retired from Seedorf Masonry, noted that the stainless steel drip edge was not installed as was stipulated by the architect. Larry will draft a letter that refers to the corresponding sections in the library building project manual. Berryman made a motion to send a letter of deficiencies to Doug Larson and Jim Novak. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried. Larsen left the meeting.
Trustee training was on Administration and Funding standards. The library receives adequate funding from Fayette County at .1586 cents per thousand per assessed valuation and enhanced level funding with $14.02 per capita.
- Jan Pirillo resigned from the board due to health concerns.
- Two ceramic heaters were purchased to be used at the Information Desk by the front door and the youth desk.
- A music CD's were purchased for Story Time.
- Friends will sponsor Summer Reading Program performers up to $900.
- A height adjustable table and 16 youth sized chairs were purchased to be used for Story Time and Lego Club.
- Books will be distributed to Kindergarten Roundup students along with a punch card of activities to do at the library to earn a book bag.
- Dr. Pelc donated 12 pen and ink drawings by Scott Jans on Oelwein places of interest.
- The staff of Berryman Dentistry purchased a height adjustable table in honor of Dr. and Mrs. Berryman.
- BRIDGES is offering video streaming on a trial basis featuring classic movies and PBS shows.
- Fayette County Library Association Legislative Coffee will be Saturday, January 30 at 9:00 a.m. at West Gate Library. The Library Board and City Council are encouraged to attend.
- No City Council Liaison has been appointed to the Library Board. The Library Board welcomes any Councilperson to attend the library board meetings.
Berryman made a motion to accept the reviewed bills. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
The Five Year Plan was reviewed. Gilson made a motion to accept the plan. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
The Returned Check policy, the Research policy, and the Inter-library Loan policy were reviewed. Berryman made a motion to accept these three policies as reviewed. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
The Oelwein Public Library Book Club will no longer be charged a postage fee for inter-library loan books used for their program. This programming fee will be covered by the Bequest Fund.
Gilson made a motion to adjourn the meeting.
Next meeting will be February 11 at 5:30.