February 2016 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes February 18, 2016
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Mars, Gilson, Kerns, Ingersoll, and Macken
President Kerns called the meeting to order.
Gilson made a motion to accept the agenda. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Gilson made a motion to accept the minutes as written. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
The board reviewed the Trustee Training on the Library Standards for staffing.
- Chocolate and More event is Saturday, February 20 from 4:30-7.
- Nancy Lane is making clothes for the American Girl doll.
- Pete the Cat books were given to all children attending Kindergarten Roundup at the public and parochial schools. A punch card with four activities to be completed at the library was included in the book. Upon completion, the child will receive a book bag.
- Rudy Daniels will be giving a program on the history of the railroad in Iowa on Saturday, February 27 at 2:00.
- Library patrons made payments through the credit card option for a total of 80 transactions totaling $764.08. The board asked the director to investigate other options such as PayPal or Square.
- The board discussed the communication and emails exchanged between the Board President, City Administrator, Mayor, and Library Director in regards to library staff salaries and library staff joining the union. The library board also reviewed a series of email exchanges between the Library Director and the City Administrator that occurred in October 2015 in regards to the library board working on the upcoming library budget, staff salaries, and pay equity. Notification has been received that the City Labor Attorney and Union Representative will be handling all negotiations.
- The library will be closed on Sunday, March 27 for Easter.
Bills were reviewed. Gilson made a motion to accept the bills. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Kerns will contact Karr Tuckpointing to have their representative come in March to look, again, and explain their recommendation and proposal for repairing the cast stone areas of the windows.
The library board will review the letter to be sent to Novak and Larson addressing the lack of a stainless steel drip edge as stipulated in the project manual.
Miller Construction evaluated the attic space and recommended adding more insulation in order to reach the recommended "R" value which would be about 24". Currently the insulation depth varies widely throughout the attic space from 3" to 20". The duct work insulation needs to be taped in order to seal up the exposed duct work thereby reducing heat loss into the attic space. Ingersoll will talk to Miller for further explanation and to view pictures taken of the areas of concern.
Miller Construction will be checking the gutters and report on any recommended maintenance needed.
The board reviewed four proposed sites for the library square-foot garden. Ingersoll made a motion to place the garden on the east side of the library. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried. Upper Iowa students will assist in building the garden during the Fayette Appreciation Day event. Also, a grant application has been submitted to RC&D for a composting station.
The Oelwein Public Library Foundation recommends Steve Peik and Linda Ridihalgh as new Foundation Board Members to be approved by the Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees. Gilson made a motion to appoint Peik and Ridihalgh to the Foundation board. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
The Programming Policy was reviewed. Gilson made a motion to accept the policy as reviewed. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Gilson moved to adjourn the meeting.
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, March 15 at 5:30 p.m.