April 2016 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes April 7, 2016
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Gilson, Mars, Ingersoll, Kerns, Berryman, and Macken
President Kerns called the meeting to order.
Gilson made a motion to approve the agenda. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
The minutes were amended to include: "Ingersoll made a motion to increase the Unique Management fee to $10. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried." Ingersoll made a motion to accept the minutes as amended. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
For Trustee Training, the Library Board reviewed the Library Standards on Collection Management, part 1.
- Book and Bake Sale is in progress
- Next meeting April 11
- For National Library Week, the library will have a class on Ancestry and a "Speed Dating with a Book" event.
- Author Joan Becker will talk about her book on April 21.
- Staff evaluations will be done on April 19. The Director's evaluation was distributed. Board members will turn in the completed evaluations to President Kerns.
- New items for check out are Ozobots and Makey Makey.
- Enrich Iowa agreement was signed and sent to the State Library.
- Amy Stevens from Alliant Energy set up an energy assessment with Dan Pierce for April 21. He will assess the attic space.
- For Money Smart Week, the library will have Personal Finance programs given by the Better Business Bureau and Upper Iowa University.
Bills were reviewed. Ken's Electric needed to come in to change the LED bulb with their tall ladder. VanDenover Jewelry changed the mechanism in the large clock. Macken has been working with Fidelity and CardConnect to resolve fee issues.
Gilson made a motion to accept the bills. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Macken contacted ten gutter companies for estimates on repairing the gutters. As of now, only one company has returned an estimate. Hawkeye Sheet Metal initially installed the gutters. They plan on submitting an estimate. The board decided to table this item until more estimates are received.
Stewartscapes sent a letter outlining landscaping fees for the year. Ingersoll made a motion to have Stewartscape do spring cleaning, July maintenance, trim pines when needed, and fall cleaning to be paid out of the Bequest Fund whatever amount remains after the Friends of the Library contribution. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Computer quotes from Premier Technology and Bytespeed were reviewed. Berryman made a motion to purchase new computers through Premier Technology loaded with Windows 7 and upgrade Microsoft Office to 2016. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried. The board asked Macken to ask other libraries about their experience with using Windows 10.
Budget amendment included state funding from Enrich Iowa and Open Access and the two grants from Human Origins and RC&D for a total of $6,347.84.
Gilson made a motion to adjourn.
Next meeting will be May 12.