July 2016 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes July 13, 2016
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Wednesday, July 13, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Ingersoll, Berryman, Mars, Gilson, and Macken
Vice-president Berryman called the meeting to order.
Gilson made a motion to approve the agenda. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Gilson made a motion to approve the minutes as written. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
For Trustee Training, the board reviewed the Standard on Technology.
- An assortment of musical instruments was purchased for Story Time.
- Soft blocks and bristle blocks were purchased for use in the children’s area.
- Cookies and lemonade will be served on July 26 from 1-5 in honor of the 10th Anniversary of the library building. The Ambassador’s will come at 1:30.
- The library does not have the option of installing fake security cameras in the building since this would create a false sense of security.
- Scheel’s Lawn Care will be donating their service of watering and fertilizing the roadside planters in appreciation for the services that the library provides for their family.
Bills were reviewed. Cardconnect charged $95 for the annual PCI compliance fee. This will be refunded.
Gilson made a motion to accept the bills. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Hawkeye Sheet Metal withdrew their bid for gutter maintenance. Ingersoll and Berryman will contact some other companies.
Ingersoll will work with Miller Construction about re-evaluating the assessment through Alliant Energy for the attic insulation.
The Progressive Discipline Policy was reviewed. Gilson made a motion to accept the policy. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Appointments for officers were discussed.
Gilson made a motion to appoint Berryman as President. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Gilson made a motion to appoint Ingersoll as Vice-President. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Gilson made a motion to appoint Mars as Secretary. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
The council renewed Gilson’s term on the library board.
Blake Kerns has been recommended to the city council for appointment to the library board.
The Capital Improvement Plan was discussed. Items included were masonry repair, gutter repair, computer replacement, carpet replacement, refinishing furnishings, interior painting, and HVAC. Many of these items can be split over a number of years.
The end of the year budget and revenue totals were reviewed. The Bequest Fund will be reviewed at the August meeting.
The Internet Use policy was revised. The statement on parental permission forms was removed. Gilson made a motion to accept the revised policy. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
The revised Staff Benefits policy was reviewed. The amount of allowed unplanned absences for Page’s was reduced from 6 to 3. Gilson made a motion to accept the revised policy. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Mars made a motion to adjourn the meeting.
The next library board meeting will be Wednesday, August 10.