February 2017 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes February 14, 2017
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Ingersoll, Berryman, Gilson, Kerns, Christensen, and Macken
President Berryman called the meeting to order.
Gilson made a motion to approve the agenda and the minutes. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Roxanne VanVeldhuizen talked to the library board on World Café. On March 9, there will be a community meeting on the vision of health and wellness for the community.
Trustee Training was on the standards defining the governance of the library.
- Enrich Iowa funding will be reduced this current fiscal year due to reductions in the Department of Education budget. The future of this funding is to be determined.
- The appropriation from Fayette County will not increase next fiscal year, but Oelwein will see an increase of $1,195.81 because the County Supervisors will be disbursing the funds according to the contract. The Supervisors terminated the contract and want to discuss a new contract.
- Oelwein native, Stephanie Ash, will talk about her novel on February 18.
- Carol Steingreaber, author of the humorous book, Pants Optional, will give a program on February 23.
- Library Page, Olivia Postel, has turned in her resignation. Staff are advertising the position.
- The Chocolate Fest brought in $1,357.00.
- Friends donated $1000 to the library to be used towards programs and supplies.
Bills were reviewed. Gilson made a motion to accept the bills. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Gutter Repair: Kerns reported that Seamless Gutter from Hawkeye will be submitting a bid for repairs.
Attic Insulation: Macken will contact KS Construction and B&B Construction to submit an estimate on attic and duct work insulation. After reviewing bids, Macken will contact Alliant Energy for an energy audit.
Landscaping maintenance: Macken will ask for bids from Stewartscapes and Scheels on a list of maintenance needed to be done to the landscaping throughout the summer.
Interlibrary Loan fee: Ingersoll made a motion to increase the postage reimbursement fee for interlibrary loan material from $2.00 to $3.00. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Gilson left the meeting.
Credit Card Acceptance: The company the library uses for accepting credit card payments has increased their fee structure and has added an additional $99 annual service fee. The library circulation system, Apollo, has integrated PayPal into the circulation system and will automatically charge the convenience fee to the customer, record the fee as paid on the account, and generate a report for library use. Patrons are able to pay for fines or fees from home or at the library. Kerns made a motion to switch systems to Apollo/PayPal. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Foundation Board appointments: The Foundation Board recommends appointing Jacki Lensing as an at-large member and Anita Mars as the library board representative. Ingersoll made a motion to appoint Lensing and Mars to the Oelwein Public Library Foundation board. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Safe Patron Policy. Discussion was held on the Safe Patron policy. The board decided to discuss further at the next board meeting.
Kerns made a motion to adjourn the meeting.