April 2017 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes April 11, 2017
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Mars, Ingersoll, Berryman, Gilson, Christensen, and Macken
President Berryman called the meeting to order.
Mars made a motion to approve the agenda and the minutes as written. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
The board reviewed Standards 1 and 2 under “Governance of the Library” for Trustee Training.
- The book and bake sale will be April 27-29.
- The Friend’s will be working with the Husky Adventure Camps to build and set up the “Free Little Libraries.”
- Carroll Endicott has been hired as the Children’s Librarian.
- Large hail stones damaged the library roof and outdoor sconces and the garden shed. The insurance company will give a full report at a later date.
- Upcoming programs:
- WWI discussion on April 18, 6:30
- Camp Dodge on April 20, 6:30
- Rumor Has It on April 12, 6:00
- Art Show – first 2 weeks in May
- Spend Smart, Eat Smart with the ISU Extension on May 4 & 11, 6:00
Bills were reviewed. Gilson made a motion to approve the bills. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Attic Insulation – Daniel Pierce from Alliant Energy reassessed the attic insulation needs. A mistake was found in the calculation used for the square footage in the initial estimate. Instead of the estimated 3,000 sq. ft., the actual measurement is 15,422. This change increased the incentive rebate from $2,436 to $8,305 based on an estimated project cost of $11,721. Gilson made a motion to accept the bid from B&B Construction for $6,385.68 and submit the application for the 70% rebate. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
FY2018 Budget – Staff salaries were discussed. Ingersoll made a motion to increase staff salaries by 3% including the base starting wages. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Budget Amendment – The director presented a budget amendment to include Open Access, Enrich Iowa, and WWI grant funds for a total of $7,240.60. Gilson made a motion to accept the budget amendment. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Long Range Plans – The board reviewed the progress made on the long range plan. A building maintenance schedule will be developed.
Safe Patron Policy – Ingersoll made a motion to include a statement that staff will call the police after the library has been closed for 15 minutes if a child or someone in need of a caregiver has not been picked up by a parent or caregiver after closing. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Gilson made a motion to adjourn.