June 2017 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes June 13, 2017
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Mars, Ingersoll, Gilson, Berryman, Kerns, Christensen, and Macken
President Berryman called the meeting to order.
Gilson made a motion to approve the agenda and the minutes as written. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
There were no correspondences.
Trustee Training: The board reviewed the Library Standards for Bylaws.
- Hail Damage Bids – Miller Construction and B&B Construction looked at the areas affected by hail damage. No bids have been received at this time. Irvine cannot find replacement glass for the cracked outdoor sconces. An option would be to replace with new fixtures. The cracked glass should not cause problems with the ballast.
- EBSCO/Gale – The State Library re-negotiated the database contract and signed a contract with Gale instead of EBSCO. Included in the package of databases is Credo Research, Chilton Auto Repair, and Transparent Languages. The cost of the products is a $25 base fee plus $.06 per capita for a total of $410 for Oelwein. The library will not renew Pronunciator Languages which would have cost $495.
- A new summer reading program will take place for residents at Arlington Place. The Outreach Librarian will visit the residents who will track their reading and attend programs to earn tickets to enter into the drawing for prizes.
- An inventory of the entire library collection has been completed. Within a three-year period, 655 items with a value of $9,466.48 have been marked as lost and deleted from the collection.
- The Director signed up for a $35 one-day bus trip leaving from Dubuque to Chicago for the American Library Association Conference. A free pass for the Exhibit Hall was received from DEMCO.
- A Summary of the 2016 Iowa Public Library General Information Survey was reviewed by the board.
- Friend’s will be planting the small planters with flowers. They will ask Scheel’s for recommendations for permanent shrubs for the large planters by the road.
- Friend’s contributed $700 towards the landscaping maintenance.
Bills were reviewed. The water heater elements and thermostat had to be replaced. Four plastic outdoor outlet covers were broken off and were replaced with metal covers. Gilson made a motion to approve the bills. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Staff salaries were discussed. Ingersoll made a motion to give the librarians (not the library director or library pages) a 6% wage increase. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
The monthly Building Maintenance Plan was reviewed. Gilson made a motion to accept the plan. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
The Director will be contacting Bannon Communications for an estimate on indoor and outdoor security cameras.
The Library Bylaws were reviewed. Gilson made a motion to accept the bylaws as reviewed. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Next meeting is July 11.