July 2017 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes July 11, 2017
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Berryman, Mars, Christiansen, Kerns, and Macken
Absent: Ingersoll, Gilson
President Berryman called the meeting to order.
Mars made a motion to approve the agenda and the minutes. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Trustee Training: The board reviewed the library standard on meetings.
- The custodian painted the patron restrooms with some left-over paint.
- The Finale Party for the Summer Reading Program with prizes and treats was June 29. Seventy-five children, 14 teens, and 18 adults were registered.
- The cement patio furniture has been pushed over a number of times. The table base is cracked and the entire piece is unstable and is a safety hazard. The library board requested to have the patio furniture hauled away.
- A resident at Oelwein Care donated a Magnifier Reader to enlarge the type in books and magazines.
- There will be a program on Habitat for Humanity on July 17 at 6:30.
- Two outdoor sconce glass cover were broken from vandalism, and some are cracked from hail damage. Six replacement covers were ordered. Macken will ask the insurance representative if the deductible is per year or per incident.
- Modern Woodmen donated funds for flowers in the planters.
- Friend’s continue to work on the Little Free Library project.
- Arborvitaes will be purchased to plant in the large roadside planters.
- Friend’s donated $2,000 to the library to be used to purchase security cameras.
Bills: Mars made a motion to accept the bills. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Security Cameras: Three bids were received. A spreadsheet comparing the camera systems was distributed.
Bannon Communications $ 6,609.60 10 year warranty
Convergint Technologies $12,529.88 3 year warranty
Iowa Surveillance Team $ 5,479.87 3 year warranty
Mars made a motion to accept the bid from Bannon Communications for the Starlight Nightvision cameras for $6,609.60 with the option to add an additional camera for a total of $7,292.00 if needed. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried. This would be paid for out of the Bequest Fund and with donations from the Friends of the Library. The library board requests that the director apply for a grant from the Northeast Iowa Charitable Foundation.
Children’s Librarian: The Children’s Librarian position has re-opened. The director is working on different option for filling this position.
End Year Budget Review: The end of the fiscal year is in the process of balancing. A full report will be ready for the August meeting.
Policy Review: Mars made a motion to accept the “Confidentiality of Library Records” policy as reviewed. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Mars made a motion to adjourn the meeting.
The next library board meeting will be August 8.