November 2011 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes November 17, 2011
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, November 17, 2011 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Peik, Leo, Gilson, Berryman, Kerns, Ryan, and Macken
President Gilson called the meeting to order.
Berryman moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Upon review of the minutes, Macken noted that the discussion on the Carry-Over Request was not recorded in the minutes. The Council’s decision to allow the carry-over was unchanged since that agenda item died from lack of motion. Leo moved to accept the minutes as amended. Berryman seconded. Motion carried.
• Perry and Cynthia Comeau would like to donate their 4’x4’x6’aviary, including the birds, to the library. The care of the birds is under contract at a fee of $90 per month. After discussion, Kerns moved to decline this generous offer. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
• After another successful book sale, the Friends deposited $1,324.85 from the sale of books into the Friend’s Bequest Fund.
• The Council approved the Library Board’s request to open up a Building Repair Fund account. The refund check from Dean’s Light Box for the Heat Tape was deposited into this account.
• Enrich Iowa funds were received. This year the library received $609.60. Last year, the library received $2,222.59. All libraries received 25.5% less than last year due to state budget cuts and the Oelwein Library lost their accreditation status which places them as at the lowest Tier One level for funding.
• A new page, high school student Alexandra Bengtson, has been hired to replace Ryan Dettbarn who has accepted a full time position with another employer.
Bills were reviewed. Young’s Plumbing and Heating fixed a short in the HVAC system due to a wire wearing against a pipe. Peik moved to accept the bills. Leo seconded. Motion carried.
West Plains Engineering sent a letter stating, “we do think it is fair to assist the library with the testing costs that it incurred earlier this year. We are enclosing a check for $1,385.00 to cover that cost.” This check will be amended back into the library budget Building line item since that line was used to pay the initial bill.
The following repairs were done to the roof:
• Stone at the valley on the south roof was removed and the back side of the stone at the valley on the north side was cut off leaving a “false front.” Shingles and sheet metal was installed in these areas.
• A missing shingle was replaced on the southeast end.
• The flashing at the gables was checked.
• Since the roofer did not find a problem with the roof on the south west side where there is water damage, Larson Construction will investigate the HVAC vents or pipe through the roof.
Leo met with Connie Kerns about making stained glass decorative windows for the library. The board liked the drawing which would utilize the stained glass from a hotel in Mason City that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. The labor would be at no cost and it will cost approximately $500 in materials.
The City Safety Committee will be hosting an employee training on “Slips, Trips and Falls” on Thursday, December 8 from 10-12. Leo moved to close the library from 9:30-1:00 on that day so that staff can attend the training session. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
The board discussed the budget for the upcoming fiscal year and decided on the following goals:
• Increase the materials budget to meet accreditation standards which is 10% of the library’s entire budget, including benefits and building insurance expenses.
• Increase the salary budget by 3.5%. The director received notification that the new 2012 rates for health insurance will increase 14.66% or $74.48 Single, 186.21 Family.
• Increase the computer supplies budget by $3,500 in order to replace the 5 computers that are 10 years old. There will still be 13 computers over 6 years old that will need to be replaced, in the near future.
The board reviewed the Library Hours and Holiday Schedule policy. Leo moved to accept the policy as reviewed. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
The next meeting will be held December 15. Berryman moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.