February 2014 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes February 13, 2014
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, February 13, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Gilson, Berryman, Leo, Ingersoll, Sherrets, and Macken
President Gilson called the meeting to order.
Berryman moved to approve the agenda and the minutes. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Chris Wendling from the Retrofit Companies presenting options for changing the T5 lighting to either T8 or LED.
T8 basic fixture $21,500 $3,922.28 rebate $17,577.72 net 8.93 year payback
T8 upgrade fixture $35,950.00 $3,922.28 rebate $32,027.72 net 16.28 year payback
LED $63,500.00 $6,869.56 rebate $56,630.44 net 13.55 year payback
Return on Investment includes energy savings but does not include maintenance savings.
Macken will inquire if this project will need to be published in the newspaper to notify bidders.
Jared Stewart presented an updated drawing of the landscaping project. Berryman made a motion to accept the changes and proceed with the project when weather permits. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried. Stewart requires an advance for building materials and a barricaded area on the northeast side of the parking lot.
Berryman shared information on concrete benches. A book shaped concrete bench mold with a seat and back could be made for $2,250. The mold would be ours to keep and making the seat(s) would not cost extra. After discussion, Berryman will find out some more information on the process. Macken will send pictures of sample benches.
Correspondences - Norm and Susan West sent a thank you and donation in appreciation of the "Created Equal" series of films and speakers.
For Trustee Training, the board reviewed information on Fair Labor Standards Act, Overtime Pay, and Recordkeeping.
Friend's Report - The Chocolate Fest will be Friday, February 28 from 6-8 p.m.
- Repairs were made on the heating system for the meeting room and the transformer for the east side of the library needed to be replaced due to wiring that had shorted-out.
- 60 Playaways audiobooks appropriate for children through adults were purchased from the Alden Library at a cost of $5.00 each.
- RAGBRAI will come through Oelwein July 25. The library will be prepared for extra visitors and will make special allowances for computer use.
- The change to the checkout procedure for computer use has been successful and is appreciated by patrons.
- Macken will be a presenter at an upcoming Rotary seminar in Rochester, MN March 6-8.
Bills were reviewed.
- The Alliant bill was much higher than usual due to an estimated meter read for the January billing.
- A summary of the Veracity credit card usage was reviewed. Patrons used this service 49 times over a one year period. Macken will order a Visa/Mastercard sign to be placed on the circulation desk so patrons will not have to ask if we accept credit cards.
Leo moved to accept the bills. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
The Board discussed whether to leave any lights on in the library after closing. Currently, one set of four lights are left on. Oelwein Police recommend some lighting be left on for security purposes. The board will consider other options for a night light.
Sherrets left the meeting.
The policy on Employee Levels and Benefits was reviewed. Leo moved to accept the policy as reviewed. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
The next library board meeting will be Tuesday, March 4 at 5:30 p.m.
Leo moved to adjourn.