June 2014 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes June 11, 2014
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Gilson, Ingersoll, Kerns, Berryman, and Macken
Absent: Leo and Sherrets
President Gilson called the meeting to order.
Berryman moved to approve the agenda and the minutes. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Trustee Training topic reviewed was "Working with the Library Director."
- The Appreciation Tea will be September 18 with a garden theme.
- The library got special pricing on a Keurig coffee maker for the reading area. Friends will buy the k-cups so patrons can have complimentary coffee, tea, cocoa, and cider.
- Friends purchased new seating for the Young Adult area and ottomans for the two reading rooms.
- Friends are sponsors for Summer Reading Program events and programs.
- Over 100 people have registered for the Summer Reading program. The Tuesday programs shared with the Husky Adventure Camps average 160 attendees. Story Time averages 60 attendees since school age children are attending during the summer.
- The librarians participated in the Oelwein Celebration parade as a "Book Cart Drill Team." 1000 pencils with the Summer Reading theme were distributed.
- Interviews for the Outreach Librarian position are scheduled.
Bills were reviewed. Irvine's used an auger to fix the sewer line that backed up in the staff restroom and break area. Ken's Electric reduced the billed hours for trenching from 10 to 7. Berryman moved to approve the bills. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Larson's installed a rubber membrane under the atrium windows above the main entryway door and above the middle large window in the children's area to eliminate the water leaks. Trim pieces will be installed and the drywall will need to be redone.
Retrofit Company has set a tentative date to replace lighting for June 30 if all fixtures are delivered.
Work will be finished this week on the Reading Garden.
- A drip irrigation system has been installed to water the new plants and trees over the next 2 years.
- The board is considering have Jared Stewart pull the fountain pump in the fall and do maintenance on the plantings.
- The bike rack blocks the entrance into the garden. A possible new location would be behind the mailbox.
- Nashua Monuments and Jamison-Schmitz are pricing granite benches.
The board discussed dispersing the old metal-framed chairs from the Young Adult area. The city attorney will advise proper procedure.
The library board chose "The Future's Foundation" for the library motto. Kerns is working on a logo design.
Kerns made a motion to deny the sex offender request to enter the library. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried. Macken will send a letter stating the decision and delivery options for this patron.
The new officers were assigned for 2014-16 based on rotation. Mike Kerns, President; Callie Berryman, Vice-president; Brett Ingersoll, Secretary. Lori Leo was reappointed to the library by Mayor Manus and approved by the City Council.
Berryman made a motion to change the Saturday hours from 11-5:30 to 9:30-4 effective July 1. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
The board discussed the "Conduct in the Library" policy. Berryman made a motion to remove the section on "Truancy or Ill Students" and to review the unattended child policy at the next board meeting. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Berryman made a motion to change the introductory "Policy" paragraph to include "library grounds" and "premises." Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
The next meeting will be TUESDAY, July 8 at 5:30.
Ingersoll made a motion to adjourn the meeting.