September 2014 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes September 18, 2014
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, September 18, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Leo, Gilson, Kerns, Ingersoll, and Macken
Absent: Berryman and Sherrets
President Kerns called the meeting to order.
Ingersoll moved to accept the agenda. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Leo moved to approve the minutes as written. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
For correspondences, the library received a number of emails and a letter praising the Cemetery Walk.
The Board reviewed "Advocating for the Library" in the Trustee Training manual.
- The Appreciation Tea had 32 attendees. Refreshments were served and Marybeth Jaggard gave a presentation on Prairie Flowers. The Director informed the members of all of the Friend's contributions to the library. After the program, guests present submitted membership applications.
- At the Annual Meeting, Jan Pirillo was elected to fill the position of treasurer as Barb Arndt's term has expired. Leslie Matthias was elected as the new board member.
- Melissa Hamilton is the new Library Page.
- The City Administrator approved 5 days of vacation time for the director to be carried over into October.
- The director will be on vacation from October 10-20.
- Commencing in 2015, Erate for telephone service will be phased out by reducing the funding by 20% per year until the funds are no longer available.
- 135 people attended the Cemetery Walk. $447.75 in donations was collected to be used towards upcoming speakers and programs.
Bills were reviewed. Sherrets was not in attendance to give an update on employee retirement gift funding. Gilson moved to approve the bills. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Building Leaks: On September 15, Larson's was running water above the entryway to determine leaks. No report.
Shingles : Kevin Stickle will be looking at the loose shingles. Kerns will remind him.
Rock Edgers : Leo moved to accept the proposal from Stewartscape to put an edger along the landscaping along the front of the library and refresh the pea rock for $488.30 using funds from the Bequest Fund. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Landscaping maintenance: The Friends of the Library are willing to pay for monthly upkeep of the library landscaped areas. The board felt it would be best to receive bids for this in the spring.
Library Brand: Kerns will make the arch of the logo wider to accommodate larger, bolder lettering.
Carry-over request: The consensus of the board is to have the $83.90 of unexpended library funds go back into the General Fund.
Book Drop: After a school visit to the library on September 12, the back end of a school bus hit the outdoor book drop knocking it off the bottom support, denting it, and springing the door. The school's insurance will be used to cover the $4000 cost to replace the book drop. Leo made a motion to order the Kingsley 4Ever 9840 book drop in Luster with the wording, "Library Return." Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried. For easier access, the book drop will be moved further east from its original position. In future, the library will recommend busses load/unload in the west parking lot.
The middle school is promoting "Stand Up for Girls" by collecting donations for literacy. The library will assist by putting up posters and handing out bookmarks.
Gilson moved to accept the By-laws as reviewed. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Next meeting will be Wednesday, October 8, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Gilson made a motion to adjourn the meeting.