Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes August 10, 2009
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Monday, August 10, 2009 at 6:15 p.m. at the library.
Present: Peik, Ridihalgh, Gilson, Leo, Macken
Absent: Pixler, Kerns
Alliant Energy and Michaels Engineering gave a presentation and handed out a report on problems with the setup of the HVAC system and their recommendations for resolving this ongoing issue. They propose to:
• Install a new building control system
o Install CO2 demand control ventilation system, with annual savings of $2,473
o Install night setback based on the occupancy schedule, with annual savings of $260
o Recommission the water loop pump control, with annual savings of $408
• Recommission the daylighting control system, with annual savings of $1,851
for an annual savings of $4,992 which is a cost reduction of 26% from $19,046.
The cost of the improvements is $21,100 for an aggregated simple payback of 4.2 years.
Alliant offers a loan program as well a rebate. Kerns was able to attend during part of the presentation.
The agenda was approved.
The minutes were approved as written.
Senator Heckroth sent a note of congratulations for hosting the “Visions” exhibit and for attending the opening ceremony.
• Friend’s will have a potato bar at Heritage Days
• They will be hosting Business After Five at the library on August 19
• Annual meeting is in September
• Bequest fund interest for FY 08-09 was $20,966.00. Total bequest fund June 30, 2009 was $440,135.98.
• The library received a $414.00 voucher from the Microsoft Settlement which can be used towards computer hardware or software.
• A link on the library website has been established for the Foundation. Brochures have been printed. The board recommends the brochures be reprinted as there is a spelling errors.
• The library had visitors from 37 states plus visitors from Switzerland, China, and Australia.
• Lt. Governor Patty Judge is touring 65 communities this summer promoting places to see in Iowa. She will be at the Oelwein Library on Thursday, September 3 at 9:45 am to view the “Visions” exhibit.
• NASA Swift Program speaker, Janet Moore, volunteered to do an astronomy program on Saturday, August 29 at 3:00
• The library signed up as a Census Partner to help promote the 2010 census.
• The building pledges have fallen behind the amount due on the loan. The board will have the committee in charge of pledges notify those who are delinquent in their payments.
• A line item has been added to the library’s budget for mowing and snow removal of the “Saur Lot.” The library’s budget will be amended at the end of the year to meet these expenses.
Peik moved to accept the August bills. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
The library received a grant of $10,000 from the Hotel/Motel tax to be used for the outdoor messaging board. The Friends donated $2000 and $27,955.12 came out of the Bequest Fund.
Leo will contact Steil Welding in Hazleton about making covers for the flagpole lights. The extra lights by the sign were removed by Dean’s Light box to be saved for parts for the flagpole lights. The holes need to be filled.
The board will send Macken and Ricchio to the ILA conference to be held in Des Moines October 21-23. Also, Macken and Snitker will attend the “Library Town Meeting” to be held in Waterloo September 30.
The board discussed the library budget carry-over. The board would like to consider using a major portion of the carry over towards the improved HVAC control system. Macken will inquire when the deadline would be for the carry over request.
The color printer used by the staff is no longer working. Macken will order a replacement printer. Patron’s have been requesting the option of a color printer. Macken will investigate how other libraries have been addressing this need.
Leo made a motion to adopt the revised Internet policy using the option where parents will notify the library if the do NOT want their child to access the internet. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Gilson moved to accept the message board policy which will include library programs and city sponsored events. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
The board will not renew the library ad in the Cresco Shopper Travel Guide.
Peik made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.