April 2012 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes April 12, 2012
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Kerns, Peik, Gilson, Leo, Berryman, and Macken
President Gilson called the meeting to order.
Leo moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Berryman moved to approved the amended minutes changing the word “active” to “activate”. Leo seconded the motion. Motion carried.
• The Friends have applied for a $1250 grant from the Northeast Iowa Charitable Foundation to help cover supply expenses for the library stained glass windows. Modern Woodman has contributed $500 towards the project.
• An upright spot steam carpet cleaner was purchased.
• Membership has grown to 107 members.
• The bi-annual book sale will be April 26-28 during library hours.
• The controller to the outdoor sign was replaced for the third time. An upgraded power supply cord was installed. Watchfire covered the cost of all parts. Labor warranty has expired.
• Alliant Energy used their truck to help replace burned-out parking lot light bulbs.
• Replacement light bulbs have been purchased for the outdoor building sconces.
Bills were reviewed.
• Blitsch requested $250 to reimburse Connie Kerns for library stained glass windows supplies. Leo moved to reimburse Kerns $250 from the Bequest Fund. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
• $37.78 was taken from the salaries line by the Streets Department for removing the sand/salt container.
Peik moved to accept the bills. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
There was no discussion on the Credit Card application as the application is still in process.
A retirement party for Edith Biddinger will be held on Thursday, June 28th, from 3:30-6:00. Cake and punch will be served.
Options were discussed for filling the position of the Assistant Director due to Biddinger’s retirement.
After 26 years, Peik will be resigning from the Library Board of Trustees when his term expires at the end of June. The Board discussed possible replacements for the Mayor’s consideration.
Due to the reorganization of the State Library Service Areas, a new NEIBORS agreement and payment structure needed to be approved. Effective May 1, according to the agreement, only Oelwein residents or rural Fayette County residents will be able to access NEIBORS materials using their Oelwein library card. All patrons from the surrounding communities will need to use their “home” libraries to access NEIBORS. Berryman moved to approve the NEIBORS agreement. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
The 2011-12 Budget Amendment of $3,348.62 was reviewed. Kerns moved to accept the amended budget. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
Kerns moved to approve the 2012-13 library budget of $224,810. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
Peik moved to accept the Gifts and Donations policy as reviewed. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Macken will be on vacation from May 9-19. The next library board meeting will be Thursday, May 3 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Berryman moved to adjourn the meeting.