July 2012 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes July 12, 2012
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, June 12, 2012 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Leo, Kerns, Berryman, Sherrets, Gilson, and Macken
President Gilson called the meeting to order.
Leo moved to approve the agenda and the minutes. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Correspondences: A thank you note was received from Edith Biddinger.
Friend’s Report: Their next meeting will be July 16. During this meeting they will draw the winning names for the stained glass windows.
- Kristi Archer is the new Youth Services Librarian. Krystle Kent is a new Page. One more Page needs to be hired.
- The State Library increased the Interlibrary Loan reimbursement amount from $2.00 to $3.00 per requested item. The board would like the director to report how ILL requests were affected this past year by charging the $2.00 fee.
Bills were reviewed.
- Retirement party expenses were taken out of the Office Supplies line and the Bequest Fund.
- The credit card company, Veracity, charged a $95 PCI fee. Macken contacted Fidelity Bank who assured her that this fee should not have been charged and would be refunded.
Leo moved to approve the bills. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Kerns inquired if Larson Construction had made the repairs to the building. Macken had talked to Burg earlier that day and he was going to contact Larson.
Election of officers was held. Leo moved to have Gilson remain as President, Kerns as Vice-President, and Berryman as Secretary. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
End year budget was reviewed. Unusual or unexpected expenses included:
- Leadership Conference cost of $200 was taken out of Personnel.
- A three year subscription for Kaspersky anti-virus was charged instead of the budgeted one year subscription out of Computer Contracts for $296.
- The server had to be replaced for $828 out of Computer Contracts.
- The outdoor sign replacement part labor of $341 was taken out of Building Repairs.
- Ballast and light bulb replacements amounted to $2552 taken out of Building Repairs.
Overall, the total library budget was overspent by $92.74.
Macken talked to Landon Burg about the light fixtures and the problems with the ballasts. He was going to talk to the engineers about the possibility of substituting another type of ballast.
Macken reviewed various library revenue collected. ILL postage amounted to $504.25, Fax fees amounted to $1,253, Fines and Fees amounted to $5,641.40, Gifts and Memorials amounted to $1,547.36 and $3,106.60, Magazine sales amounted to $239.65. Building Construction Pledges amounted to $6,558. Bequest interest as of May was $6,621.52 with the total fund amounting to $413,203.66 as of May. $9,213.64 had been spent out of the Bequest Fund.
Leo moved to accept the Circulation of ASVAB Study Guides policy as reviewed. Seconded by Berryman.
The new Library Board member will need to be appointed and approved by the City Council.
The next Board meeting will be August 9.
Leo moved to adjourn.