November 2012 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes November 15, 2012
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, November 15, 2012 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Leo, Berryman, Ingersoll, Gilson, Kerns, and Macken
President Gilson called the meeting to order.
Leo moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Leo moved to accept the minutes as written. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Trustee Training: The board read the section, “Library/City Relationships” in the Trustee Manual.
- Sue Johnson, Lavonne Teem, and Marilyn Gallo all sent messages praising the success of the Cemetery Walk and encouraged the library to have this event in the future.
- Friend’s will set up the large Christmas tree in the library on Monday, November 26 at 9:30.
- After another successful Book and Bake Sale, the Friend’s gave the library a check for $1342.00 to go into the Friend’s Bequest account.
- Chocolate Festival will be Friday, February 1 from 6-8 p.m. Plans include the Mardi Gras theme with live jazz band.
- The Friend’s will help cover the cost of additional computers that need to be replaced at the library. (Eight or nine computers, dependent on bids, instead of the budgeted 5).
- The Cemetery Walk has received positive responses from those who attended and participated. Approximately 65 people attended the event and $339.26 was received in free will donations to be used towards replacing a computer in the children’s area.
- The director has applied for a Community Foundation Grant for $2,250 to be used to update the computers in the children’s area.
- Painters are scheduled to do building repairs during the second week of December. Novak sent Macken a copy of the addendum dealing with the paint used on the outside steel beams which will be fixed in the spring.
- The newspapers digitized by Advantage Company should be ready within the next 6 weeks.
- The director has begun the bid process to replace 8 staff and circulation computers.
- The director sent in acquired CE’s to the State Library to renew her library certification.
- Dave and Cindy Schmitt donated $100 towards the new rugs around the circulation desk.
- A Christmas Wreath workshop is scheduled for Thursday, December 6 at 6 p.m.
- Oelwein will be hosting the Fayette Co. Library Assoc. Legislative Day on Saturday, January 26 at 9:00.
- The Grand Opening for the Civil War 150 traveling exhibit will be Thursday, January 3. The Ambassadors will arrive at 6:00 and the guest speaker, Professor Kenneth Lyftogt from UNI, will present at 6:30.
- The Fayette County library appropriation for $10,998.37 (half of total payment) was received.
Kerns moved to accept the bills. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Leo moved to accept the Research Policy as reviewed. Seconded by Berryman.
Many libraries have been inquiring if any libraries have a policy in regards to “lock downs” since many schools in the surrounding areas have gone into “lock down” over the last couple of months because of armed and dangerous individuals in the area. In some instances, school children happened to be visiting the library during these times. The director will ask the advice of the Chief of Police.
The next library meeting will be held on Thursday, December 13 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Berryman moved to adjourn the meeting.