June 2013 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes June 13, 2013
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, June 13, 2013 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Gilson, Ingersoll, Kerns, Berryman, and Macken
Absent: Leo, Sherrets
President Gilson called the meeting to order.
Berryman moved to approve the agenda and the minutes as written. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Trustee Training: The board reviewed information on trust accounts. The Oelwein Library does not have a trust account.
- Rachel Mortenson thanked the library for a "great summer reading program last year" and for the Nook Color that Jory won for the grand prize.
- The Friend's donated $1200.00 to be used to purchase DVD's.
- Friend's would like permission to install wall shelves in the meeting room storage closet. The Library Board agreed that this would be a good idea.
- Legislative update:
- Enrich Iowa funding was increased by $350,000.
- Iowa Workforce Development is to allocate $150,000 to Iowa Library Services to support another year of the Learning Express education database.
- Property Tax Reform will probably mean a loss of funds to cities despite the state backfill.
- Oelwein Celebration committee asked if the library would post a message on the outdoor sign for their dinner fundraiser. Even though the library will post some of the July 4th celebration events on the sign, the fundraiser does not meet the criteria.
- The lending Nook had 4 people on reserve waiting to check it out. Since Kmart had a sale on the Nook Simple Touch and the two devices can share the ebooks that have been purchased for them, another device was purchased.
- Unique Management can use their process to collect on bad accounts that exceed $25 up to 3 years retro-active. The same agreement and terms would apply as with new accounts. The Library Board would like to use the collection process on qualifying old accounts.
Berryman made a motion to approve the bills. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Estimates to control the dandelions on the Saur Lot were received from Dave King and Dave Schmitt. Macken submitted the estimates to city hall. Kerns contacted Desi's and Stewartscape about the landscaping plans designed by Jim Stinger. Jared Stewart will present ideas and costs at the July meeting.
The Library Board discussed staff salary increases for 2013-14. The library proposed budget was for 4% raise and the city proposed budget was for 3% contingent on the union settlements. Berryman moved to give library staff a 3% raise. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Advantage sent a quote for microfilming and digitizing the newspapers from July 2011-December 2013 for $2,462. Kerns will speak with the Oelwein Daily Register about continuing to microfilm the paper and partnering with the library for digitizing.
The library staff will attend a Workplace Violence Training session on July 19 from 8:30-10:00 as required by the Oelwein Safety Committee and insurance carrier. Kerns moved to open the library at 10:30 on July 19 so all staff can attend this training session. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Berryman moved to accept the Meeting Room policy as reviewed. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
The next meeting will be MONDAY, July 15 at 5:30 p.m.
Berryman moved to adjourn.