September 2013 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes September 5, 2013
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, September 5, 2013 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Kerns, Berryman, Gilson, Leo, Ingersoll, and Macken
President Gilson called the meeting to order.
Berryman moved to approve the agenda and the minutes of the last meeting. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
The board reviewed information on Financial Support. Discussion was held on county funding.
Arlington Place sent a thank you note stating that they enjoyed helping with the Summer Reading Program by providing bus transportation for one of the programs. They would like to assist with future programs as well.
- Appreciation Tea is Thursday, September 12 at 2:00 p.m. Civil War author, Jocelyn Green, will be the guest speaker. Leo expressed sincere appreciation for all that the Friends of the Library do for the library.
- Friend's will be serving hot cider at the library sponsored Cemetery Walk which will be Friday, September 27 from 6-8 p.m. Grandview is providing cookies.
- The library is one of the recipients of the PBS "Ready for School" grant which will promote improving math, science, and literary skills through interactive games, apps, and programs. Sites will receive a banner, rug, bookmarks, and 3 iPads with pre-loaded educational games. A Learning Specialist has been assigned to our area to help with programs.
- ITC gave a $250 grant toward the Cemetery Walk.
- The steel beams have been repainted with an oil-based paint. The beams were scraped but not stripped of the old paint. The painter assured the library board that, even though the painting was done when the temperature was in the 90's with high humidity, it would not affect the paint job.
- Macken showed the board the two areas where water is still leaking onto the ceiling by the main entrance and the middle large window in the children's area. The Board would like the Director to send Novak an email about this unsolved problem.
- The HVAC system was not cooling properly. The system drain pipes were clogged with algae. As drainage backed up in the pipes, a sensor was activated which turned off the system. The system needs to be flushed with water, annually. Also, there is a vibration in the motor for Heat Pump 2. Kerns will contact Thomas Electric to check the motor.
- A number of lights are out on the outside of the building which is in the process of being fixed.
Bills were reviewed. The annual fee for the library circulation system is due. A $100 credit was given because of a slip printer issue. Berryman moved to accept the bills. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Improvements to the Saur Lot were discussed. Since the funds are not in the city budget for this fiscal year, the city council proposed the library pay for the entire project out of the Bequest Fund and then the city would reimburse the Bequest Fund 50% of total project the next fiscal year. Also, other landscaping companies have expressed an interest in submitting a proposal.
Leo moved to fully fund the cost of the project out of the Bequest Fund with the city to reimburse to the Bequest Fund 50% of the total cost next fiscal year. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
If other landscaping companies would like to submit their own design and estimate for improvements to the Saur Lot, they need to give a presentation to the library at the October 10 meeting. See the Library Director for details on the project.
Discussion was held on microfilming and digitizing the latest years of the Oelwein Daily Register. The Director will ask the State Law Library for information on copyright and use of the newspaper.
The Director will contact the City Administrator about setting up a meeting in regards to the maintenance of the Saur Lot.
The Board reviewed the job description for the Assistant Director. Under "Qualifications", the revised sentence reads: "Required to be a high school graduate with two years of library experience with progressively increased library responsibility." Leo moved to accept the revised policy. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Next meeting will be Thursday, October 10 at 5:30 p.m.
Berryman moved to adjourn.