October 2015 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes October 8, 2015
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Mars, Kerns, Gilson, and Macken
Absent: Berryman, Ingersoll
President Kerns called the meeting to order.
Gilson made a motion to accept the agenda and the minutes as written. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
- The Independence Ladies Literary Club sent a thank you and a donation for the tour of the Human Origins exhibit.
- Wings Park 5th grade classes sent a thank you for the tour of the Human Origins exhibit.
- United Methodist Women sent a thank you and a donation for the presentation of "Past, Present, and Future of the Library."
The board reviewed Standards for Boards and Governance, part 2 for Trustee Training. Our Five Year Plan expired in 2014 and we will need to have a new one in place by February for accreditation renewal. The board will begin working on the new plan at the November meeting.
- Book and Bake Sale October 15-17 during library hours.
- 120 people attended the Cemetery Walk and $318.86 was collected in donations.
- Human Origins exhibit has been shipped to the next location. The director is working on the final report. Of the overall 5,300 library visitors, an estimated 1,400 visitors came to see the exhibit from the surrounding area including people from WI, WA, CA, IL, and SD. Eleven school classes visited.
- The Youth Services Librarian and the Outreach Librarian will attend Parent-Teachers conferences to issue library cards and answer any library-related questions.
- Evening with the OWLS event is October 27.
- Cedar Valley Art and Wine painting class is October 29.
- Author Zach Wahls will have a presentation and book signing on November 10.
Bills were reviewed. Gilson made a motion to accept the bills. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Miller Construction plans on shingling the roof the week of October 19. Extra vents will be added. The insurance company re-evaluated the roof for hail damage a second time, but denied damage.
Seedorf Masonry looked at repairing cracks, damaged bricks, and re-caulking expansion joints on the brick exterior of the library. They estimate around $35,000 in damage and repairs. Novak and Larson have been notified as well. The Board would like the City Administrator to share the estimate and pictures with the City Council.
The board reviewed a budget proposal for FY 2016-17. A new line item for exterior masonry maintenance may need to be added. The board would like to discuss further when all trustees are in attendance.
Salary options were discussed. The city union settlement for the upcoming year is an increase of 2.45%. The board reviewed the salary resolution and how librarian pay rates compare with other city employees in similar employment categories. Kerns asked if the full time librarians may want to join the union. Salary options will be discussed further at the November meeting with a full board in attendance.
The Bequest Fund request remains unchanged from previous years.
The Material Selection policy was reviewed. Gilson made a motion to accept the policy as reviewed. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Gilson moved to adjourn the meeting.
The next meeting will be Tuesday, November 17 at 5:30.