January, 2015 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes January 15, 2015
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, January 15, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Ingersoll, Kerns, Gilson, Leo, Berryman, and Macken
Also Present: Wade Heineman and Kristi Archer
President Kerns called the meeting to order.
Leo moved to approve the agenda and the minutes as written. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
The board discussed the Trustee Training topic on Developing and Adopting Policies.
- Chocolate Fest will be February 20 from 6-8 p.m.
- The Northeast Iowa Charitable Foundation granted $10,000 to the Friend's of the Library. Kerns will send a thank you not on behalf of the library.
Berryman arrived. Wade Heineman spoke to the board about an incident at the library in which he was involved with the consequence of suspension from the library for 6 months. Kristi Archer was the librarian working on that evening. The library board supports the decision made based on the "Conduct in the Library" policy.
Heineman and Archer left the meeting.
The director will arrange staff training with the police department on violence in the workplace.
- The book drop was re-installed at a lower height and supported so that the door works smoothly.
- Author Linda McCann will present on January 22 at 6 p.m. on Prohibition in Eastern Iowa.
- Several after-school programs have taken places at the library in collaboration with Husky Adventures. The next program will be January 28 on Fitness.
- The director will attend Legislative Day in Waucoma on January 17 at 1:30 p.m.
- The Oelwein Public Library Foundation will meet on January 28 at 5:15 p.m.
- Open Access funds of $2,933.71 were received. The library received $2,609.22 last year.
- Outreach librarian, Jolissa Ohrt, submitted an extensive application for a traveling exhibit. The Oelwein Library was one of 19 libraries throughout the U.S. to be award to receive this exhibit. Further details will be released in February.
Gilson made a motion to accept the bills as reviewed. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried. A comparison of the Alliant bill was not reviewed since last year's bill had been an estimate.
The board reviewed the intention of the Bequest Fund and discussed Accreditation Standards. The board will review the Accreditation process at the next board meeting.
Discussion was held on different ways the library can let citizens and city officials know about the services and programs available at the library. Since library agendas and minutes are not always included in the council packets, a monthly update will be sent to the city council.
The Meeting Room policy was reviewed. Leo moved to make the following changes to the policy:
- Food and drink can be served in the meeting room.
- A refundable deposit of $25 will be required to reserve the room.
- Meetings will need to be held during the hours when the library is open.
Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Discussion will be continued at the next board meeting on which groups are able to reserve the meeting room.
Gilson made a motion to adjourn.
The next meeting will be TUESDAY, February 10 at 5:30 p.m.