March 2015 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes March 9, 2015
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Monday, March 9, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Leo, Ingersoll, Kerns, Gilson, Berryman, and Macken
Absent: Malget (City Council meeting)
President Kerns called the meeting to order.
Leo moved to approve the agenda and the minutes as written. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Trustee Training on "Planning for the Library's Future", Part Two, was reviewed.
- Oelwein Glass fixed the twisted window gaskets. Furniture Showcase will take measurements for the windows in order to get an idea of cost for insulated window blinds. Ingersoll stated that Arlington Place purchased their blinds through Lowe's. Lowe's installed the blinds.
- Leo said that Connie Kerns will make stained glass windows for the upper south windows.
- Book and Bake Sale will be April 23-25
- Chocolate Fest had $1,354 dollars in ticket sales.
- In honor of National Library Week which is April 12-18, the Friends will give all library staff a $10 gift card for Dairy Queen.
- Matt Vogel sent a letter clarifying the city's insurance for the library. The total coverage for the city is $25,000,000 which can be used to cover loss for any city property.
- The Construction Fund Pledges is in the budget for the annual transfer resolution for May 2015.
- March Library programs include the Tuskegee Airman on March 19 and Jo Kramer Quilts on March 26.
- The second half of the county appropriation was received in the amount of $12,744. Each of the 11 Fayette County libraries will receive an increase of $325. This equal distribution is not according to the distribution formula, but was requested by the Board of Supervisors.
- Alliant Energy sent a review of the electric and gas usage for the year and information on rebates. After receiving this information in February, Macken applied for LED bulb rebate which was declined since the form was not submitted by the January 31 deadline.
- Human Origins exhibit will be on display during the month of September 2015.
- The videotape movie collection is being eliminated. Popular titles are being replaced with the DVD version. By patron request, children's DVD's are shelved separately and have a "Children's Movie" clown sticker on them.
Bills were reviewed. The KWH usage on the electric bill is down by 4,800 compare to last year. Gilson approved the bills. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
The Oelwein Public Library Foundation recommends Dan Pelc be appointed to the Foundation Board. Berryman moved to approve Pelc's appointment. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Macken will contact Stewartscapes, Desi's, Scheels, and Manske's about submitting a bid for maintaining, weeding, and trimming the landscaping in the planters, parking lot beds, reading garden, and around the building. The board would like this service to commence May 22 for a minimum of 5 times during the growing season with special attention before town celebrations and holidays. Any chemicals used must be environmentally friendly. A separate bid would be required if rock or mulch needs refreshing. The Friends of the Library indicated that they would like to help with this maintenance expense.
The Fax Policy and the Meeting Room Policy were revised as discussed at the February meeting. Berryman moved to approve the revised Fax Policy. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried. Gilson moved to approve the revised Meeting Room Policy. Seconded by Berryman. Motion carried.
Berryman made a motion to adjourn the meeting.
The next meeting will be Thursday, April 9 at 5:30.