June 2015 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes June 9, 2015
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. at the library.
Present: Ingersoll, Gilson, Leo, Kerns, Macken. Berryman arrives at 5:15.
President Kerns called the meeting to order.
Gilson made a motion to approve the agenda and the minutes as written. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Lori Leo submitted her letter of resignation from the library board. Lori has served on the board since 2002. The library community truly appreciates her 13 years of dedicated service.
For Trustee Training, the board reviewed the services offered by the State Library of Iowa.
- After investigating options for insulated blinds for the north end of the library, the committee did not find suitable alternatives for the large windows. They will not purchase blinds at this time.
- A contribution will be made towards the materials for the stained glass windows for the south end of the library.
- A book will be purchased in memory of deceased Friend, Virginia Pirillo.
- Olivia Postel has been hired as a new library page.
- Alice Steinman gave the library a quilt wall hanging with a book theme.
- The director will be on vacation from July 15-28.
Bills were reviewed. The Alliant bill is approximately the same as last year. Leo made a motion to approve the bills and allow the payment of $200 to OCAD for Summer Reading Program Oelwein Dollars and up to $250 for landscaping maintenance to StewartScape when those bills are received this month. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried. Berryman arrived.
Two names were suggested for the Library Trustee replacement. Kerns will contact those individuals to inquire if they would be interested in serving on the library board.
A spreadsheet comparing the purchases through Rite Price and Quill was received. The board thought a good balance had been used and that it was beneficial to review this information.
A registered sex offender against a minor requested permission to come into the library under the supervision of a Full Circle staff person. Leo made a motion to deny the request. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried. The board requests that the director notifies this person of the library services available to them.
The Emergency Policy was reviewed. Thoma from the Fire Department and a representative from Alliant reviewed the policy and recommended calling 911 before calling Alliant in the case of a gas smell. This will alert the fire department who will come with their gas detector. Alliant will make a follow-up call. Berryman made a motion to accept the policy as changed. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
The next meeting will be Thursday, July 16 at 5:15 p.m.