September 2015 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes September 21, 2015
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Monday, September 21, 2015 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Mars, Ingersoll, Berryman, Gilson, and Macken
Vice-president Berryman called the meeting to order.
Ingersoll made a motion to approve the agenda and the minutes as written. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Correspondences: State Librarian, Michael Scott, sent a thank you note about his visit to our library with State Library staff and a guest from the Institute of Museum and Library Services from Washington D.C.
Susan Strandberg inquired on memorial options on the passing of her mother, Gloria, who was a former librarian at the Oelwein Library.
For Trustee Training, the board reviewed Standards for Boards and Governance, part 1.
- At the Annual Meeting, new officers were voted upon. They are: Edith Biddinger, President; Steve Kaune, Vice-president; Leslie Matthias, Treasurer; Mary Jo Weber, Secretary. New board members are Barb Roberson and Susan Driscoll.
- A list of contributions made possible by the Friends of the Library including sponsoring speakers and programs, furnishings, and supplies was distributed to the membership.
- Katherine Schuelke was hired as a full-time librarian with a start date of September 16.
- Programs for the Exploring Human Origins exhibit have been well attended. School classes will be coming for tours over the next two weeks.
- The Cemetery Walk will be September 25 at Oakdale.
- Macken and Harris will be attending the Iowa Library Association conference in Des Moines October 14-16.
Bills were reviewed. Gage Exterminating was added to the list of bills for $50. Gilson made a motion to accept the bills. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
The City Council has accepted a bid from Miller Construction to re-roof the library with Owens Corning Storm Shingles for $32,268.00. An additional request for another 3' of ice and water barrier will be included. Work is to be completed by November 1.
Larson Construction replaced and painted the drywall over the entry door after re-caulking around the upper parapets and windows and applying a sealant to the brick.
The Registration policy was reviewed. Ingersoll made a motion to accept the policy as reviewed. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Gilson made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 6:05.
The next meeting will on Thursday, October 8 at 5:30 p.m.