October 2016 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes October 18, 2016
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Ingersoll, Mars, Berryman, Kerns, Gilson, Christensen, and Macken
President Berryman called the meeting to order at 5:30.
Ingersoll made a motion to approve the agenda and the minutes. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
The Northeast Iowa Charitable Foundation gave the library $1000 in honor of longtime member, Jim Ridihalgh, who is retiring from their board.
The board reviewed standards on “Library Access” for trustee training.
- Staff will be participating in the STEM Festival on October 20. The library will showcase the Ozobots and Makey-Makey which is available for check-out.
- Staff will have a class on using the Ancestry database on October 25.
- The Public Works Union declined to accept the library employees into the union.
- Karr Tuckpointing completed the brick repairs.
- Stanley paid for library services through a contract with the Buchanan County Library Association. Oelwein has lifted the check-out restrictions.
- CJMS are working on stained glass windows that will be installed in the two reading rooms.
- New Friends board members are Jamie Tafolla and Marty Kajewski.
- Officers are Edith Biddinger, President; Steve Kaune, Vice-President; Karen Cannon, Secretary; Barb Roberson, Treasurer; and Jody Solsma, Foundation Board.
- Keychains for new library patrons were purchased.
- A donation of $1000 was given to the library to be used for purchasing DVD’s.
Gilson made a motion to approve the library bills. Seconded by Ingersoll. Motion carried.
Kerns recommended hiring Cedar Valley Seamless to repair the library gutters. This project will be done in November, weather permitting. He will meet with board members to review each part of the project. Gilson made a motion to accept the proposal submitted by Cedar Valley Seamless for $5,392.98. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Ingersoll is trying to meet with Miller Construction on the Attic Insulation Assessment.
The proposed budget request for 2017-18 was discussed:
- Continue using the collection service of Unique Management.
- Maintain the Materials budget at $34,000.
- Contract with Schmitt Cleaning for cleaning the library and some outside maintenance and snow removal. Parks Department will assume the responsibility of mowing and trimming.
- Continue purchasing janitorial products through local vendors.
- Half of the carpeting will be cleaned.
- Re-paint the meeting room, vestibules, and patron rest rooms.
- Refinish approximately 20 wooden chair seats.
- Replace 6-9 computers as listed on the Capital Improvement Plan.
- Staff salaries were revised. A scale used for Oelwein city employees was incorporated. This method placed library employee pay slightly below average in comparison to libraries in Iowa in the “E” category (city populations between 5,000-9,999).
Gilson made a motion to accept the proposed budget request for $280,334 for 2017-18. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Kerns made a motion to purchase a replacement library vacuum not to exceed $500. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Discussion was held on establishing a firm time for library board meetings. It was agreed to change the meeting time to the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. The next library board meeting will be November 8.
The board reviewed the Assistant Director’s job description. Ingersoll made a motion to accept the job description as reviewed. Seconded by Mars. Motion carried.
Meeting adjourned at 6:30 p.m.