September 2017 Board Minutes
Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes, September 12, 2017
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Berryman, Ingersoll, Gilson, Kerns, Christensen, and Macken
President Berryman called the meeting to order.
Kerns made a motion to approve the agenda and the minutes. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Trustee Training: The board reviewed the library standard on board development and training.
- The library received $3,292 from the Northeast Iowa Charitable Foundation for Security Cameras.
- The director talked to Vogel Insurance about cost of insurance and security cameras. A credit will be given but the amount is nominal since the library is one of 30 locations.
- The FCLA has scheduled a meeting with the Fayette County Supervisors on September 25 at 9:15 a.m. at the courthouse to discuss the proposed changes in distributing the county appropriation to the Fayette County libraries. The mayors and city administrators from Oelwein, West Union, and Fayette will be meeting to discuss the issue and may be attending the September 25th meeting.
- The Cemetery Walk will be held at Oakdale Cemetery on September 22 from 6-7:30 p.m.
- The director will be conducting a tour of the library on September 23 for the Sacred Heart Class of 1967.
- The director will be attending a Human Origins Exhibit debriefing meeting in Washington D.C. the first week in October. Expenses are paid by a grant through the American Library Association.
- A picnic table was purchased for the library.
- The Annual Meeting is September 19. Officers will be voted upon by the membership.
Bills: Ingersoll made a motion to accept the bills. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Building Updates: Because of a backlog of work due to hail damage throughout the city, the roof will not be able to be repaired until next year. Consequently, the library board thought it is best if we do the maintenance to the gutters after the roofing project is done. Also, because of the backlog of work, it is not likely that the insulation project will be completed by the end of the year. The director talked to Alliant Energy about the deadline for the rebate program and was informed that the energy audit done this year for the rebate program is good for five years.
Replacement Glass: Oelwein Glass replaced the broken glass, but the tint does not match the original glass because that window tint color is no longer available. In future, the board requests that another company be consulted to see if they are able to locate a suitable match.
Capital Improvement Plan: The CIP was reviewed. Christensen will ask the city administrator if masonry repairs should be included or not. Macken will inquire about the need for including repairs to the parking lot.
Policy Review: The Open Meetings Law and Library Board Meetings policy was reviewed. Ingersoll made a motion to accept the policy as reviewed. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
The board discussed expectations for outreach programs in the community and at the schools, and children’s programming. The director will share the library board’s thoughts and ideas with the staff who work in those areas.
Gilson made a motion to adjourn.
The next meeting will be October 10.