Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes August 9, 2010
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Monday, August 9, 2010 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Gilson, Peik, Kerns, Leo, Ryan, and Macken
Vice-President Gilson called the meeting to order.
A change was made to the agenda. The policy review was changed to “Board of Trustees Bylaws.” Peik moved to accept the agenda as amended. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.
Peik moved to accept the minutes as written. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
• Katie Harris sent a “Thank You” to the board for providing a breakfast in appreciation of her earning her public librarian certification.
• John Kerr offered to the library a reproduction of an early map of the Iowa Territory. As the library does not have wall space to display the map, the board declined the offer.
• The Moeller family would like to give a memorial to the library and asked for a list of ideas. Peik talked about a TV screen that would be located at the circulation desk that would post events happening at the library.
The Trustee Training video clip on “Library Planning” was viewed and discussed.
The Friends Meeting will be August 16.
• The Bequest Fund beginning balance on July 1, 2009 was $440,135.98 with an ending balance on June 30, 2010 of $412,819.11.
• The final youth Summer Reading Program was held last week. The children enjoyed all the water themed programs. The Young Adults program has started with water globes, genealogy, and GPS treasure hunt. Adults and teens have started submitting their book reviews for the drawing.
The August bills were reviewed. Kerns moved to accept the bills. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
The Finance Committee was unable to meet with the library board. Macken presented information collected from other libraries, city pay scale for employees in the general fund, Oelwein school employee pay scale, and Fayette County employee pay scale. The board would like to meet with the Finance Committee on Monday, August 23 at 6:00 p.m.
Macken presented the Carry-over request of $2,670.00 from unexpended funds from the Computer Contracts line to be placed in the Materials line.
Leo reported that there was a very low turn-out for school registration and suggested that it may be a service to the community to post school registration dates on the outdoor message board. This policy will be reviewed at the next board meeting.
Building pledges will conclude by the end of the year. The board would like Mary Jo Snitker to present a report on total amount pledged and total amount collected.
Macken reported that the annual Iowa Library Association conference will be held in Coralville. Two staff members will attend.
The Board of Trustees Bylaws was reviewed. Peik moved to accept the Bylaws as reviewed. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.