Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes July 14, 2010
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Pixler, Peik, Leo, Gilson, Kerns, Ryan, and Macken
President Pixler welcomed new board of trustee, Mike Kerns. The meeting was called to order.
Peik moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Leo moved to approve the minutes as written. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
The trustee training video on policies was viewed.
• Book sale will be October 14-16
• The Million Penny Project kick off was started with an entry in the July 4th parade. Log cabin contribution boxes have been placed in 19 businesses.
• Curt Strutz will be presenting a program in October on “Haunted Houses.” He will be sponsored by the Friend’s.
• An Adult Summer Reading Program entitled “Water Your Mind” will be offered throughout August. Patrons can submit reviews through the on-line catalog. A Luau with prizes will be August 31.
• The air conditioning system went down. A Freon leak was fixed by Young’s Plumbing and Heating. The bill exceeded $2000.00 and will be covered by the city, not from the library budget, as it exceeds normal maintenance costs. The custodian will annually change the belts that run the fans.
• The louvers on the outdoor sign are in the process of being replaced as the plastic hooking mechanisms are breaking. Macken voiced her concern to Nagle Signs about the possibility of this happening, again, next year after the labor warranty has expired.
• End of the year statistics were reviewed. 60,678 people visited the library last year which is an increase of 129%.
• Not as many donations were received compared to the previous year. Some donations had been designated to the Foundation. Fines and Fees increased as well as money collected for Faxing Services.
• The computer contracts line and communication line had funds remaining. Kerns moved to request a carry over of $2,269.99 in to the 2010-11 budget. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
• $10,786.97 was earned in interest in the Bequest Fund. This amount is less than the previous year’s amount of $20,966.00. $38,214.31 was spent out of the Bequest Fund.
• K. Harris earned her Public Library Certification. The board congratulates this accomplishment and will extend their appreciation by providing a light breakfast at the next staff meeting.
• Macken applied for a grant through the Northeast Iowa Charitable Foundation to be used to purchase library materials. In order to renew the library’s accreditation, $21,000, or 10% of the library’s budget, will need to be used to purchase materials. In order to accomplish this standard this fiscal year, the library will need to rely on donations and grants.
• Macken provided a source for an outside bronze sculpture appropriate for libraries. The board thought this would be a good opportunity for someone interested in donating towards a gift or memorial.
• Macken will be taking vacation time during August.
The bills for July were reviewed. Leo moved to accept the July bills. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Upon the resignation of Ridihalgh, Pixler moved up to serve as President and Gilson moved up to Vice-President. Leo moved to elect Peik as Secretary. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.
Staff and Board Privileges policy was reviewed. Leo moved to accept the revised policy. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
The board discussed pay equity. The board reviewed the requested document of librarians’ pay from cities with populations between 4000 and 9000 people. Since an unknown factor in this document is how long the individuals have been employed, Macken will request from the five cities above and below Oelwein on the population scale their starting wages. The board extends an invitation to meet with the Finance Committee on Monday, August 9, at 5:30 p.m.
Gilson moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Kerns. Motion carried.