Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes June 9, 2010
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Wednesday, June 9, 2010 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Leo, Ridihalgh, Pixler, Ryan and Macken. Also, Mayor Murphy, City Administrator Kendall, City Attorney VanVeldhuizen, and Council Finance Committee members Lein, Jensen, and Ericson.
Absent: Peik, Gilson
President Ridihalgh welcomed those in attendance. Attendees discussed pay equity for library staff. Macken distributed a packet of information on city pay scales from other communities, library job openings, job descriptions of Oelwein city employees, and Oelwein city employee pay rates. The committee would like more information on how the Oelwein librarians’ pay and job descriptions compares with librarians from other cities of approximately the same size and the same geographical area as Oelwein. Macken will gather that information. Kendall will obtain a study annually produced by the city of Estherville and find out how much it would cost to hire an outside firm to conduct a job audit. Another meeting will be scheduled when the new information has been gathered. Murphy, Kendall, VanVeldhuizen, Lein, Jensen, and Ericson left at 6:30.
Leo moved to approve the agenda. Seconded by Pixler. Motion carried.
Leo moved to approve the minutes as written. Seconded by Pixler. Motion carried.
Trustee Training video on policies will be viewed at the next board meeting.
• The popcorn machine has been delivered.
• Next meeting will be June 14.
• Kindergarten through 5th grade students toured the library during the last couple of weeks of school. They were given information on the upcoming Summer Reading Program and the new Raising Readers Corner.
• Macken may take some vacation time during the week of July 4th. The next board meeting will be either July 14th or 15th. The library will be closed on Monday July 5th in observance of Independence Day. Regular library hours will be held on Saturday, July 3rd.
• The outdoor sign had a second controller replaced. The new controller has an upgraded power supply. Also, Nagle signs will be installing a ground directly to the sign. Parts for the sign are covered under a five year warranty. Nagle Signs has a one year warranty for labor. But, if another problem would occur with the controller, Nagle Signs will consider this an on-going problem and will cover the cost of labor.
• Macken called Gage Exterminating to take care of the invasion of insects and spiders.
• Mediacom sent a letter stating that a copyright infringement had been traced to our library’s IP address on March 4. Someone had copied a movie from Paramount. Macken sent a copy of the letter and the library’s internet use policy to the city attorney.
Bills were reviewed. Macken informed the board that the Lion’s Club had donated $100 to be used for the popcorn machine. That money had been deposited in the Bequest Fund until the machine was purchased. The $100 payment is included in this month’s claims. The end of the year budget should be in good standing. The materials line and utilities line went over estimation, but computer contracts and repair has more than $2000 left at the end of the year. $38,214.31 had been spent from the Bequest Fund. Leo moved to accept the bills. Seconded by Pixler. Motion carried.
The updated Meeting Room policy was reviewed. It includes a statement that the meeting rooms can not be used as office space to meet with clients. Pixler made a motion to accept the Meeting Room policy. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
Linda Ridihalgh submitted her resignation letter to the Board of Trustees after 26 years of dedicated service. Linda’s contribution to the library will truly by missed by her fellow trustees and the staff of the Oelwein Library. The Board of Trustees would like to recommend, for the Mayors consideration, Mike Kerns to fill the trustee position.
The Library’s 100th Anniversary date will be May 8, 2011.
The updated Page Job Description was reviewed by the board. A section on allowed absences was moved to the Employee Benefits section. Leo moved to accept the updated job description. Seconded by Pixler. Motion carried.
Leo moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Pixler. Motion carried.