Oelwein Public Library Board Minutes September 9, 2010
The Oelwein Public Library Board of Trustees held its regular board meeting on Thursday, September 9, 2010 at 5:30 p.m. at the library.
Present: Pixler, Gilson, Peik, Leo, Ryan, and Macken
President Pixler called the meeting to order.
Gilson moved accept the agenda. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
Gilson moved to accept the minutes as written. Seconded by Leo. Motion carried.
• The U.S. Census Bureau sent a letter of appreciation and a plaque to the library for partnering with them to achieve a complete and accurate census count.
The trustee training video clip on “Advocacy” was postponed because of meeting location.
• The Annual Meeting will be Tuesday, September 9 from 6-8:30. Election of officers will be held.
• More “Friends” key chains were purchased to be given to new library patrons.
• An MP3 player was purchased to be given as a prize for the Teen Summer Reading Program.
• Friends will be purchasing the “Junior Library Guild” books and the Newspaper and Magazine subscriptions for the library.
• Gilson was reappointed to the Library Board of Trustees.
• Nancy Akin resigned from her position as assistant librarian. Amanda Taylor has been hired as the new assistant librarian.
• Macken distributed an updated salary schedule. The Excel formula was incorrect for the director’s salary and included the longevity pay twice. The formula has been corrected.
• The Smart Investing classes will begin October 4.
• Macken has been working with the fire department on testing the library sprinkler system. The testing procedure did not work. The fire department contacted Midwest Automatic Sprinkler System to check the system. The Inspector Test Valve was not installed. Midwest will be fixing this problem.
Ryan received a request to install a plaque from 1974 honoring Jesse Richards, rock collector, on the boulder on the library grounds. The plaque had been given by the Historical Society and was on a drinking fountain in a city park which has since been removed. The board thought the most appropriate location for the plaque would be the historical museum.
The September bills were reviewed. The monthly expense report was unavailable from city hall. The board was concerned with the high electric bill. Macken will contact Alliant Energy for a possible explanation. Leo made a motion to approve the bills. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
The board would like to meet with the Finance Committee sometime before October 12. The board would like the Finance Committee to set the date and time convenient to that committee. Macken will send a request to the committee chair.
Macken submitted the report on Library Building Pledges as given to her by Mary Jo Snitker. The amount people pledged to be used for the library building project was $479,048.00. Pledge money collected as of August 30, 2010 was $524,720.94. An additional $14,473.00 is expected to be collected and $10,985.00 is projected to be uncollectable.
On Wednesday, October 13 from 10-12, there will be a city wide training session on “Quality Customer Service in the Public Sector.” Peik moved to open the library at 1 p.m. on that day so all librarians will be able to attend the training session. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried. Story Time will be canceled for that week.
Macken was unable to attend the Town Meeting conference because of the transition in staffing. Ricchio attended the session on maintaining library computers. Library computers have a life of 3-5 years and then the complete unit needs to be replaced. Resources were given to help guide the process. Macken will gather information on replacing all library computers as they are 4 years old. The library joined with other city departments in purchasing computer anti-virus software at a group rate of $12 per computer.
The board reviewed the policies on displays and the message board. As a community service, the library will post the school registration dates for the public schools on the outdoor message board. Leo made a motion to accept this change in the policy. Seconded by Peik. Motion carried.
Macken will send out the director’s evaluation form to the board of trustees.
Leo moved to adjourn the meeting. Seconded by Gilson. Motion carried.